Osa was created in 1914, as third canton of the Province of Puntarenas, having as its head the Villa of Buenos Aires. This canton originally covered an extensive area (7,623 square kilometers), which meant around 15% of the Costa Rican territory. Currently, Osa has six districts: Ciudad Cortés; Palmar; Sierpe; Piedras Blancas, Bahía Drake and Bahía Ballena.
The average geographical coordinates of the Osa canton are given by 08 ° 53’38 “north latitude and 83 ° 30’51” west longitude. The head of the Canton is located at a height of 6 meters; Palmar Norte: 26 meters; Sierpe: 8 Meters; Ballena Bay (Uvita): 12 meters; Piedras Blancas: 30 meters.
Osa, like the other four cantons of the south-south region, was inhabited by indigenous groups known as bruncas. Those of this particular territory were under the control of Cacique Osa, as established by the rapporteur Andrés de Cereceda.
The name of the canton is in honor of Cacique Osa, who at the beginning of the Conquest and according to historical records of 1563, lived in the territory bordering the coast, specifically in Golfo Dosa, now known as Golfo Dulce.
The Osa canton is dedicated to agroindustry, in particular, to palm, cattle and rice, activities that develop important cooperatives or companies. It should be noted that the visit of tourists and the construction of hotels and condominiums has been increasing. This trend of growth in the tourism sector has been strengthened with the opening of the Costanera.
Taken from https://www.gobiernolocalosa.go.cr/turismo/historiaOsa.php